Monday, October 20, 2008

Election

I just turned eighteen in May of 2008. That means that this will be my first election and that makes it important to me. I registered to vote at my old highschool and received my voter's registration shortly afterward. So I was very much looking forward to voting this year and I approved of many of the goals of the Democratic candidates. I have followed all of the debates and discovered that I hate politicians. They are liars and sneaks in general if they are successful.
However, I still want to vote for many reasons. One of which is the intense disgust I feel for people who refuse to vote. I do not really care what the reasoning is; if you are American and you can get a ballot, you should vote. Apathy in the case of the President of our country is unacceptable. A ridiculous number of years ago, a ridiculous number of people died so we could have the rights we do now. It is a slap in the face of every dead citizen and soldier not to vote. Voting is also the only way we really can say anything about the people running our country. To give up that right out of sheer laziness, is to forfeit the right to say anything at all about how the government acts. Now I finally have the opportunity to affect my government. That is why this election is important to me.

2 comments:

Witney Fisher said...

I also believe in the importance to vote, and having your voice being heard.

Emily Parris said...

You have a good point. Alot of people laid there life down to give us especially women the right to vote.